Jeremy Wyeth Schulman is a founding member of Schulman Bhattacharya and Chairman of the Firm’s Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Group.
His practice is highly diversified, with a concentration in complex commercial litigation matters, international and domestic arbitration, internal investigations and corporate counseling. He has represented numerous foreign governments, real estate owners and developers, homebuilders, hotel ownership and management companies, hotel franchisors, pharmaceutical companies, major foreign and domestic financial institutions, insurance companies, trading concerns, media companies, energy joint ventures, brewers and an airport development company. Jeremy Wyeth Schulman regularly appears before federal and state courts in the Washington, D.C. area and throughout the United States and various international and domestic arbitral tribunals.
Jeremy Schulman works tirelessly to resolve disputes for his clients as efficiently and effectively as possible. He places great emphasis on creative problem solving, frequently steering disputes to resolution through informal negotiation or mediation. Mr. Schulman is also an experienced trial lawyer, having successfully handled numerous contested proceedings, including jury and non-jury court trials, merits arbitration hearings, temporary restraining order and injunction hearings, dispositive motions hearings and other evidentiary proceedings.
Among Jeremy Schulman’s recent noteworthy matters are:
- Representation of leading Washington, D.C. trade association in litigation against financial institution concerning $90 million failed loan.
- Representation of one of Japan’s largest conglomerates in multi-billion-dollar litigation against two leading New York-based banks arising from their involvement in one of the largest rogue trading scandals in history.
- Representation of the Federal Republic of Somalia in various matters, including conducting an investigation of financial corruption allegations asserted by the United Nations Monitoring Group for Somalia and Eritrea.
- Representation of a director of a U.K.-based oil company and an official of the Federal Government of Somalia in connection with terrorism allegations asserted by the United Nations Monitoring Group for Somalia and Eritrea.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in multi-state court proceedings stemming from a disputed loan transaction in excess of $80 million.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company and the inventor of a successful medical food product in federal court litigation concerning the ownership of proprietary scientific know how and product marketing issues.
- Representation of a celebrity chef in litigation concerning ownership of successful restaurant ventures.
- Representation of minority ownership group in buy-sell dispute concerning the sale of a $150 million office building in Washington, D.C.
- Representation of putative seller of Orlando, Florida apartment complex in litigation with buyer over a disputed purchase and sale agreement.
- Representation of leading U.S. homebuilder in litigation concerning $120 million real estate acquisition in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of 50% owner of limited liability company owning $50 million Washington, D.C. office building in dispute concerning sale of property.
- Representation of the principals of a Florida-based technology company in multiple litigations against two leading financial institutions in connection with disputed securities margin agreements.
- Representation of leading German financial institution in connection with opening of branches in the U.S.
- Representation of Russian bank in civil forfeiture action brought by Federal government in connection with Bank of New York money laundering investigation.
- Representation of large minority partner in litigation and pre-litigation disputes concerning various real estate partnerships owning shopping mall, residential apartment complexes, and raw land in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of real estate developer in litigation and various other matters over his interest in $106 million office building and contiguous property located in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of New York-based real estate company concerning various disputes with major hotel management company relating to hotels in Florida and Puerto Rico.
- Representation of owner of Downtown Washington hotel in AAA arbitration against major hotel management company concerning proposed hotel renovation.
- Representation of owner of three luxury hotels in Southern California in litigation against leading hotel management company in state court in California concerning mismanagement of hotels.
- Representation of leading hotel franchisor in Federal court appeals concerning branches of its franchise agreement.
- Representation of sports league in litigation in Federal court in Nevada concerning the design and acquisition of a rocket-powered airplane.
- Representation of software development company in Federal lawsuit against former officer, director, and employee concerning ownership of the company’s intellectual property.
- Representation of leading solar energy company in Federal lawsuit against former business partner concerning the former partner’s breaches of a reseller agreement.
- Representation of communications company in licensing dispute with software provider and related escrow dispute with leading escrow agent in multi-jurisdictional dispute.
- Representation of internet company in securities fraud action against investors.
- Representation of Asian government in World Bank arbitration concerning rehabilitation of country’s principal thermal power station.
- Representation of leading airport developer in World Bank arbitration against Asian government concerning construction of international passenger terminal.
- Representation of Asian governmental agency in D.C. District Court litigation concerning disputed oil and gas drilling rights.
- Representation of owner of combined-cycle power plant in Brazil in ICC arbitration proceedings and extensive pre-arbitration negotiations in construction dispute with contractor.
- Representation of major insurance company in class action in Ohio state court concerning marketing practices with respect to variable annuity products.
- Representation of major insurance company in litigation in New York State court concerning an alleged breach of a reinsurance contract.
- Representation of brewing company in litigation in New York Federal court against former distributor who alleged improper termination of distributorship agreement.
Prior to founding Schulman Bhattacharya, Jeremy Schulman was Vice Chair of the Commercial Litigation Department of Shulman Rogers, and before that was a leading commercial litigator in the Washington office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, the New York and Washington offices of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, and the New York office of LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP. He began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable John M. Steadman, Associate Judge of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Schulman earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law where he was the Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree in mathematics and government from Cornell University. He is proud to serve on the Advisory Board of the Round House Theatre in Bethesda, Maryland and to support a variety of other civic causes both locally and internationally.
Recent News about Jeremy Schulman
- Schulman Bhattacharya Prevails After Filing California Federal Court Action—Major Internet Commerce Companies Yield To Demand To Block On-Line Sales Transactions For VSL#3 Product
- Schulman Bhattacharya Wins Major Federal Jury Trial—$18 Million Awarded To Clients Claudio De Simone And ExeGi Pharma For False Advertising, Unjust Enrichment And Unpaid Royalties
- Schulman Bhattacharya Settles Contentious Multi-Jurisdictional Trade Secrets Dispute
- Schulman Bhattacharya Resolves Hotly Contested Litigation For Celebrity Chef In Dispute Over Ownership And Management Of Washington Restaurant Ventures
- Schulman Bhattacharya Expands Litigation Team With Addition Of Two New Associate Attorneys
- Schulman Bhattacharya Client Released From Unlawful Detention In Mogadishu, Somalia And Regains Full Access To His Property
- Schulman Bhattacharya Engaged To Represent U.S. Citizen Unlawfully Detained In Mogadishu, Somalia
- U.S.-Based Internet Service Provider Blocks Malicious, Defamatory Articles Targeting Somali Union Leaders
- Schulman Bhattacharya Forces $21.3 Million Buy-Out Of Client’s Interests In Nine Washington Area Real Estate Companies
- Schulman Bhattacharya Secures Confidential Settlement In Battle Over Intellectual Property Royalties
- Schulman Bhattacharya Secures $19.5 Million Settlement In Hotly-Contested Real Estate Dispute
6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 425
North Bethesda, Maryland 20852