Jonathan A. Barnes is an associate attorney with the Firm handling complex litigation matters. His experience spans complex business litigation and criminal matters involving construction, employment, professional liability, insurance coverage, and products liability.
Mr. Barnes holds a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from New York University. He earned his Juris Doctor from the George Washington University School of Law. During law school, Mr. Barnes served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Lee F. Satterfield, the former Chief Judge of the District of Columbia Superior Court. Upon graduation, Mr. Barnes served as the first law clerk to the Honorable Richard E. Jordan of the Circuit Court for Montgomery County Maryland.
Prior to joining Schulman Bhattacharya, Mr. Barnes worked for a major commercial litigation firm, after spending many years in the public sector as an Assistant State’s Attorney for the State’s Attorneys Office of Montgomery County Maryland.
Among Mr. Barnes’s noteworthy recent accomplishments and engagements are:
- Obtained successful verdicts in multiple civil and criminal jury trials.
- Successfully defended insurance agency and insurance agent in disputes arising from national multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme.
- Successfully represented insurance agencies and health-care providers in professional liability matters.
- Successfully represented health-care providers in numerous administrative hearings throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Represent inventor of high-frequency commodities trading platform in bet-the-company litigation concerning ownership of key intellectual property rights and membership interests in successful trading firm.
- Represent victim of business fraud against perpetrator of real estate investment scheme.
7500 Old Georgetown Road, Suite 901
Bethesda, Maryland 20814